Friday, November 18, 2011

Sock It To Me.

Today has been one of those days where I just want to throw something on and pull my hair up and out of the way. However, I know later I will regret the fact that my hair will have a hardcore ponytail kink especially if I choose to leave the house.

So I found this AWESOME hair tutorial about making sock bun curls atASpottedPony. At first I was weirded out by the idea of putting a sock in my hair but once I saw how easy and amazing the curls are I decided I needed to do this.

This method requires no heat which is great since I hate how damaging it is to curl my hair all the time. (My hair is naturally really straight so it takes a lot.) Plus, the bun looks good enough to wear around the house or go to a morning class without looking like a complete freak.

You want to start with hair that is mostly dry so your hair will not be wet once you decide to take down the bun.

Then take a long sock (I found some old knee high Christmas socks) and cut the toe off. You're going to want to roll the sock as if you're trying to put pantyhose on. The result is basically a sock doughnut!


Next, put your hair into a high pony tail and pull the ponytail through the hole in your sock 'doughnut'. Pull it out just so you have a little bit of hair poking through the middle. These are the pieces you are going to tuck into the underside of the bun.

(Excuse my blurry photos)

After you have tucked that part in, roll the sock down the length of your ponytail while tucking your hair in. You should end up with a bun! Now go do whatever you need to get done (watch Glee) or you can even sleep on it.
When you pull the bun out you should have a set of beautiful curls that took basically no effort!
Now for my cheesy mirror picture! :)

My hair is really thick so my curls were big. I might try using some product or maybe a thinner sock next time to get tighter curls.

If you have trouble visualizing some of these steps or from my photos I found videos by A Spotted Pony that do a GREAT job of showing the steps in a clear way.

I would love to see your results! Just leave a photo comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment